Favorite Third Trimester Exercises
Author: Shannon Miller
As your due date grows close, you want to keep focused on remaining in the best possible shape for labor and delivery.
That means continuing to eat right and exercise. You’ll reap the rewards during labor and delivery as well as post baby when the weight comes off a bit easier. Now just days away from my due date, I’m focusing on a couple of my favorite third trimester exercise moves, along with swimming or walking most days. Not only does exercise help with the aches and pains, but it helps us sleep a little better at night, which we all need before the baby arrives.
Squatting: helps to relax and open the pelvis and strengthen the upper legs.
- Stand facing the back of a chair with your feet slightly wider than hip-width apart, toes pointed outward. Hold the back of the chair for support.
- Contract your abdominal muscles, lift your chest, and relax your shoulders. Then lower your tailbone toward the floor as though you were going to sit down on a chair. Find your balance; most of your weight should be toward your heels.
- Take a deep breath and, exhaling, push into your legs to rise to a standing position.
- Stand facing a wall, feet hip-width apart.
- Place hands on the wall, arms straight.
- Pull your navel in toward your spine so your back is straight.
- Do 1-2 sets of 10-12 reps, resting 1 minute between sets.