Yoga During Pregnancy
Author: Shannon Miller
Prenatal yoga is a fantastic way to stay in shape and work out the kinks during your pregnancy.
Yoga can improve your balance and circulation during a time when these are critical to your everyday tasks. Pair these moves with some cardio like walking or swimming and you’ll be on the right track to a fit and healthy pregnancy. The deep breathing and relaxation techniques of yoga can also come in handy as you prepare for labor and birth of your little one.
I’m now days away from my baby girl’s arrival so I’ll focus on a two of my favorite 3rd trimester prenatal yoga poses.
Cobbler’s Pose: This sitting pose helps open the pelvis.
- Sit up straight with the soles of your feet touching each other.
- Gently press your knees down and away from each other, but don’t force them apart.
- Stay in this position for as long as you’re comfortable.
Pelvic tilt or Cat-Cow: This position helps relieve back pain, which is why it is so popular during pregnancy.
- Get on your hands and knees, arms shoulder-width apart and knees hip-width apart.
- Tuck your tailbone under and round your back as you breathe in.
- Relax your back into a neutral position as you breathe out.
- Repeat slowly.