How to Get Rid of Love Handles
Author: Shannon Miller
Are you trying to get rid of those pesky love handles?
According to certified personal trainer, Jackie Culver, the most effective way to reduce this area is through diet and fat burning cardio. Love handles are caused by excess fat deposits at the waist line. The obliques, the muscles in that area, rotate your torso and flex your spine. So any exercise that uses those motions will help firm that area. When using weights, be sure to use very light weights!
The following are some of Jackie’s favorite exercises to fight love handles:
- As seen in the above photo, starting out on your side, lift up onto the lateral side of your lower foot and lower forearm.
- Your elbow should be under your shoulder.
- Keep your body in a straight line and do not rotate forward or backward.
- Hold for 30 seconds. Repeat on other side.
- Lie on your back with your knees bent and lower legs parallel to the floor.
- With hands supporting your head and elbows back, reach your right elbow towards your left knee while extending the right leg.
- This should be a very controlled motion and you should not work with momentum.
- Repeat on other side. Do 10-12 reps on each side.
Weighted Side Bends
- Stand with your feet shoulder width apart and holding light dumbbell in left hand .
- Bending only at the waist, lower weight toward the knee.
- Return to starting position. Repeat 10-12 times, then change sides.
Seated Torso Rotation
- Sit on the floor with your knees bent.
- Lean back slightly until you feel your abs engage.
- Holding a light medicine ball in front of you, rotate to the
left and touch the ball to the ground next to your left hip.
- Keep your upper body aligned and rotate at the waist.
- Return to starting position, then repeat on the right side. Work up to 12 reps on each side.
As with any exercise program, results will be best achieved when paired with a healthy, balanced diet. Please remember to consult with your physician before beginning any diet and/or exercise program.