In the Mood for Something Crunchy?
Author: Shannon Miller
Everyone knows how to do the plain old crunch. So, if your abdominal muscles are tired of this, give them something new – switch it up a little!
Check out variations of the abdominal crunch that will be sure to leave your abs feeling good!
- Lie on back with legs straight.
- Gently place hands behind ears.
- Engage your upper abs and obliques pulling right shoulder to left knee. Hold.
- Return foot and shoulder to floor moving immediately to work the opposite side.
12-24 reps on each side.
- Lie on your back with legs straight and arms over your head.
- Pull your navel to your spine.
- Keeping your heels on the floor, slowly roll up one vertebra at a time to a sitting position.
- Slowly roll back down, one vertebra at a time.
See video of this move: Shannon demonstrating the Roll Up
And in case you have an exercise ball lying around….
- Begin by lying back on the ball – keeping feet flat on the floor.
- Arms may be behind your head or straight above your head.
- Squeeze your upper abs lifting your shoulder blades up for the crunch.
- Hold for a count of 2 at the top and slowly lower back down.
Try some of these ab moves today. Remember, bathing suit season is the best time of the year to get your crunch on!