Winding Down-The Right Way
Author: Shannon Miller
How do you wind down after a long day?
A glass of wine? Watching “Dancing With the Stars?” Take a long bubble bath? All of these are great options, but there’s a really important one to add to your list…stretching! After sitting all day – in an office chair, in the car, and on a bleacher watching your kids soccer game – stretching is a great treat for your muscles; they are sure to love you for giving them some TLC after a long day! (Perhaps stretching while watching “Dancing With the Stars” is an even better idea!)
Check out some good “winding down” stretches below:
Standing Full Body Stretch
- Stand with your feet hip width apart.
- Raise your hands above your head and reach for the sky.
- Pull up throughout your entire body.
- Hold 15-30 seconds.
- Lie flat on your back.
- Grab the back of your left thigh with both hands, with left foot flexed.
- Keep your leg bent to start bringing it to a 90 degree angle with the floor.
- Once you are in position, slowly straighten your knee to feel the stretch.
- Hold 15-30 seconds. Repeat on opposite side.
Ultimate Torso Twist
- Lie on your back with arms out horizontal.
- Bend your right knee to a 90 degree angle.
- Place right knee on left side of body.
- Hold 15-30 seconds on each side. Repeat on opposite side.