Yoga – At the Core
Author: Shannon Miller
Strengthen your core muscles by engaging them in some great Yoga poses!
Your body will love you for doing this because there are many benefits of strengthening these core muscles, such as…
- Better posture
- Greater efficiency and gracefulness in your movements
- Greater physical strength
- Reduced risk of injury and muscle pain
If you’re ready to reap these rewards, check out some Yoga poses below that focus on your core muscles!
- Begin on hands and knees.
- Palms are placed shoulder width apart. Place feet and knees hip width apart.
- Hips should remain directly above knees and shoulders directly above palms.
- To enter “cat,” tuck your tailbone under rounding your back. Pull your belly to your spine and press through shoulders. Head drops down to focus toward floor.
- From a sitting position on the floor, contract your abs to lift both legs into a “V” position.
- Keep legs straight and strong.
- Extend arms so they are straight and parallel to your legs or to the floor.
- Keep head neutral, eyes focused forward.
- Place your feet hip width apart and make sure you are on the balls of your feet.
- Pull your navel to your spine and do not “sag” in the middle.
- Hands should be directly under you shoulders.
- Focus on pulling your shoulders back and down.