Calcium, A Girl’s Best Friend!
Author: Shannon Miller
Move over diamonds – calcium is a girl’s best friend!
Everyone needs calcium, but it is a particularly important nutrient for women and girls. Ladies, getting our fill of calcium can help in the prevention of osteoporosis, so get your daily fill! The recommended daily amount varies by age…*
- For girls ages, 9 to 18, 1300 milligrams is needed.
- For women ages, 19 to 50, 1000 milligrams is needed.
- For women over the age of 50, 1200 milligrams is needed.
You can get your fill of calcium by simply eating the right foods.
Good sources of calcium include:*
- Fat-free or low-fat milk, yogurt, and cheese
- Broccoli, spinach, and other green leafy vegetables
- Tofu with added calcium
- Orange juice with added calcium
Additionally, Vitamin D helps your body take in calcium.
Some good sources of Vitamin D are:*
- Salmon and tuna
- Milk with added Vitamin D
- Breakfast cereals, yogurt, and juices with added Vitamin D