Can You Pass that Healthy yet Delicious Side Dish, Please?
Author: Shannon Miller Lifestyle
A good side dish can really tie a meal together!
What’s a steak without the potatoes?
What is even better than a side dish that tastes good? A side dish that has nutritional value!
Yes, sometimes, these 2 things can actually go together.
Check out some of the healthy side dish recipes below and figure out how they might fit into your family’s dinner menu this week.
(For 4 servings)
2 Tbsp. melted butter
3 Tbsp. all purpose flour
2 cups skim milk
¼ cup sugar
¼ cup salt
2 cups of frozen white-shoe peg corn, thawed
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray a 2-quart baking dish with non-stick butter.
- Stir flour into melted butter until smooth. Gradually whisk in milk.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, and salt.
- Combine the egg mixture with the flour and milk, stir in corn, and pour into prepared baking dish.
- Bake for approximately 45 minutes until center is set and it is golden brown on top.
Grilled or Roasted Veggies
(For 4 servings)
1 bunch of asparagus, rinsed and trimmed
1 head of broccoli, rinsed and cut into spears
2 bell peppers cut into quarters with stems and seeds removed
Seasoning salt of choice (try a low sodium option!)
Extra virgin olive oil
- Heat your grill to medium.
- Toss vegetables in a little olive oil and then sprinkle with seasoning salt.
- Cook until grill marks appear on the underside.
- Turn vegetables over and grill other side.
Carrots with Orange Sauce
(For 6 servings)
1 lb baby carrots
¾ cup water
½ tsp salt
Zest of 1 orange
Freshly squeezed juice from the orange
1 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 Tbsp. honey
1 Tbsp. butter
- Combine carrots, water, and salt in a saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 5 to 8 minutes until carrots are crisp yet tender. Drain.
- Combine remaining ingredients except butter and whisk together. Stir into drained carrots.
- Cover over medium heat, stirring constantly until sauce thickens.
- Add butter and stir to coat as it melts.
Hungry yet?! Try one of these delicious, healthy side dish recipes out tonight!