Author: Shannon Miller
What’s the deal with this fiber frenzy anyway?
When you see the now popular fiber commercials, you might tune out because you think to yourself: “I don’t have regularity issues – I don’t need fiber.”
But wait! Don’t discount the amazing health benefits of fiber. According to the American Dietetic Association, fiber-intake:
- Helps to prevent heart disease by lowering cholesterol.
- Controls blood sugar levels for people with diabetes.
- Helps with digestive problems by preventing constipation and hemorrhoids.
- Helps to prevent weight gain because high-fiber foods make you feel full faster.
Remember these guidelines for easy ways to add fiber into your diet:
- Fruits. Eat whole fruits instead of drinking fruit juices.
- Brown trumps white. Eat more brown rice and whole grain items, rather than white rice, bread, and pasta.
- Raw vegetables. Instead of snacking on a bag of potato chips or crackers, go for some raw veggies, like carrots or broccoli.
- Lot of Legume. When preparing chili or soup, use legumes instead of meat two or three times per week.