Fireworks – Have Fun, Be Safe!
Author: Shannon Miller
The Fourth of July is right around the corner and what is more popular on the 4th than hot dogs, hamburgers, and potato salad?
You guessed it – fireworks! Fireworks are great fun, but it’s important to be safe if you’re going to use them at home.
The National Council on Fireworks Safety provides the following safety tips*:
- Only use fireworks outside.
- Obey local laws – if fireworks are illegal where you live, do not use them.
- Don’t attempt to alter or combine certain fireworks – use them as they come.
- Avoid relighting dud fireworks. Wait 20 minutes and then drop it in a bucket of water.
- Make sure spectators are a safe distance from the shooter.
- The person shooting the fireworks should wear safety glasses and should not be drinking alcohol.
- Only individuals above the age of 12 should handle sparklers of any kind.
*Source: The National Council on Fireworks Safety.
TIP: Have fun celebrating the anniversary of America’s independence – and be safe while doing it!
Video provided by The American Pyrotechnic Association and “The Firecracker Moms”, who wish you a safe and happy 4th of July. For more information about fireworks safety and The American Pyrotechnic Association, please visit http://www.americanpyro.com.