Fruits for Diabetes
Author: Shannon Miller Lifestyle
Fruits for Diabetes
Diabetes is a disorder in which the pancreas in the human body starts to dysfunction and cause changes in the insulin or sugar levels in the blood. As a result, you have to be very careful with the amount of sugar you put in the body and, it is for this reason that eating can become a major hassle. Fruits are naturally high in sugar, even though these sugars are natural complex sugars, they still affect the insulin level and there are certain fruits which cannot be eaten by a diabetic person. So can diabetics have fruits at all? Here is a list of certain safe fruits which a diabetic person can eat without any tension:
- Strawberries: Strawberries top this list as these berries have a low glycemic index and low glycemic load which means, that they keep you fuller for longer and do not increase your blood sugar level as much. This holds true for other types of berries as well like raspberries, blackberries and blueberries.
- Apples: Apples again have a low glycemic index which gives less surge to the blood sugar level. Also, apples have high content of pectin which reduces cholesterol in the body and has anti-inflammatory properties, which further reduces the risk of any heart disease.
- Peaches: Peaches are delicious and have a low glycemic index along with lots of fibre and antioxidants. You can eat one medium sized peach and be fuller for longer and not worry about diabetes.
- Cherries: Cherries are good for diabetic patients who have a sweet tooth. They taste wonderful and have a low glycemic index. Cherries also have anti inflammatory and anti aging properties and therefore, are an ideal fruit for diabetics.
- Pears: Pears are full of fibre and have a low glycemic index as well. One of the best things about a pear, is that it contains antioxidants that lower the blood cholesterol, regulate blood sugar levels and improve digestive health. Who can forget that they taste great as well!
- Grapefruit: Grapefruit contains the antioxidant known as flavonoid which improves the body’s ability to maintain the insulin level which is very important for a diabetic patient. They also contain vitamin C and have a great amount of fibre.
- Oranges: Oranges, like any other citrus fruits are rich in vitamin C and have a great content of fibre. They have a low glycemic index and keep the blood sugar in control and help boost immunity as well.
- Plums: Plums are one of the richest sources of antioxidants and phytonutrients that are available in the world and contain nutrients like iron, potassium and magnesium. They have a good quantity of vitamin C and are very good for the immune system of the body.
- Guavas: Guavas have the lowest glycemic index of all fruits and are very rich in fibre. They are very good for diabetes as they maintain the blood sugar level and with the fibre, keep you feeling full and give you a lot of energy. Guavas also have almost the same amount of vitamin C as an orange, and are great for the immune system of the body.
This list of fruits is one any diabetic patient can safely have without worrying about the blood sugar levels spiking. What’s more, they are actually healthy for you because of all the nutrients, minerals and vitamins they contain! So, don’t stop yourself. Satiate the craving for sweet with some of these amazing fruits.
Madhavi Dandu is a senior editor at UrbanWired with deep love and passion for all things health, wellness, fitness and fashion. Given how uninformed people were about personal health, fitness, she saw the need to educate average joe and jane about healthy living through her writing. http://urbanwired.com/health/