Breast Cancer: Know Your Risk
Author: Shannon Miller
Thank you to our wonderful guests, Dr. Kenneth Jones (St. Vincent’s Medical Center), Lisa Feagin (Amercian Cancer Society) and Tamara Krouse (Susan G Komen) on Shannon Miller Lifestyle Radio this Sunday morning.
For those that didn’t catch the show or couldn’t write down the information fast enough, here is a brief recap of Breast Self Awareness from the Susan G Komen: For the Cure.
And please check out the links below if you’d like more information on breast cancer diagnosis, treatment, support and great events coming up in the Jacksonville area.
- Know Your Risk
- Talk to you family to learn about your family health history.
- Talk to your doctor about your personal health risk of breast cancer
- Get Screened
- Ask your doctor which screening tests are right for you
- Get a mammogram every year starting at age 40 (average risk)
- Get a clinical breast exam at least every 3 years starting at 20, and every year starting at age 40
- Know What Is Normal For You
See your healthcare provider right away if you notice any of these breast changes:
- Lump, hard knot or thickening
- Swelling, warmth, redness or darkening
- Change in the size or shape of the breast
- Dimpling or puckering of the skin
- Itchy, scaly sore or rash on the nipple
- Pulling in of your nipple or other parts
- Nipple discharge that starts suddenly
- New pain in one spot that does not go away
- Make Healthy Lifestyle Choices
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Add exercise into your routine
- Limit alcohol intake
GET MORE INFO
Great links for information on breast health and breast cancer:
- American Cancer Society (www.cancer.org) 1-800-ACS-2345
- St. Vincent’s HealthCare (www.jaxhealth.com)
- Susan G Komen foundation (www.komen.org) 1-877-465-6636
TIP: There are lots of fun events coming up in the Jacksonville area. Sign up or donate to help support all those affected by breast cancer.
Making Strides Against Breast Cancer (all locations): www.cancer.org/stridesonline
Race For The Cure http://www.komennorthflorida.org/