Vitamin D: Why So Important?
Author: Shannon Miller
As with most things in life, when it comes to nutrition, knowledge is power.
Knowing what we should include in our diet – and why – are good first steps to leading a healthy lifestyle.
In this way, we can make an effort to gain a deeper understanding as to why certain items are important for our diet. After all, the doctor can tell us time after time that we need to get our daily fill of vitamins, but at what point do we start listening?
The point at which we understand why we should adhere to this advice. On that note, let’s consider why Vitamin D is important for our diet!
Vitamin D plays the following vital roles in our body:*
- Helps to absorb the calcium and phosphorus found in our bodies and helps to carry calcium and phosphorus to our bones and teeth
- Regulates how much calcium stays in our blood stream
- Affects the strength of our immune system
- Aids in the regulation of cell growth
Now that you know how you can benefit from including vitamin D in your diet, it might be good to know what foods you can find vitamin D in!
Common sources of Vitamin D:*
- Most milk
- Many different kinds of the following products: orange juice, yogurt, cheeses, cereals, breads, and soy drinks.