Olympian Shannon Miller Joins Yahoo! Editorial Team as Analyst
Author: Shannon Miller Lifestyle
Yahoo! Goes Beyond Gold With Global Programming Coverage of Summer Olympics
SUNNYVALE, Calif. – (April 30, 2012) – Yahoo!, the premier digital media company, today announced its Summer Games programming efforts bringing Yahoo!’s over 700 million global users closer to the events than ever before, in dozens of languages and regions, across multiple screens and digital platforms. Yahoo!’s coverage will include original video programs, breaking news, expert analysis from Gold Medal Olympians Dan O’Brien (Track and Field), Summer Sanders (Olympics), Shannon Miller (Gymnastics), and the award-winning team of writers from Yahoo! Sports, as well as social integration programs, and for the first time Yahoo! will reveal its “Memorable Moments” editorial series to build excitement for the Games. All the exclusive content will live across the Yahoo! Media Network in addition to the Yahoo! hub dedicated to coverage of the Games (sports.yahoo.com/olympics/) and Yahoo! Sports (sports.yahoo.com/), the No. 1 global sports destination online with over 104 million unique visitors a month.*
“As the No. 1 global destination online for Olympics coverage for the past three Games, Yahoo! dominates Olympics coverage with our unique storytelling; this year will be no exception and we will be bigger and better than ever before,” said Ross Levinsohn, executive vice president, head of global media. “We’re programming immersive digital experiences for a global audience and delivering a locally relevant editorial voice in each market. Our angle is to cover the stories behind the stories with our own exclusive talent, including multiple former Olympians – across screens, across the globe.”
Yahoo!’s “Memorable Moments” celebrates the most compelling stories in Summer Games history through the eyes of those who were there, Yahoo!’s writers and experts and other voices of authority, as well as through the lens of Yahoo!’s users. Moments like Nadia Comaneci’s perfect 10s in Montreal, Carl Lewis’ four gold medals in Los Angeles, and Michael Phelps’ record eight gold medals in Beijing will be retold through video, iconic photos and stories that live on Yahoo!’s hub dedicated to the coverage of the Games and debut in June.
Yahoo!’s additional programming efforts for the 2012 Summer Games include:
- The Yahoo! Hub Dedicated to Coverage of the Games – Yahoo! is the place to go when big events happen in the world. Throughout the games, Yahoo! will highlight breaking news, major headlines, and recaps daily. The hub will also include a program profiling athletes from the biggest stars to the least known names, where each athlete will be represented within Yahoo!’s coverage and users will be able to cheer for them individually or as a team. Yahoo! will also provide the most up-to-date photo galleries from London, making sure every user has access to the biggest moments of the summer.
- Original Video Programs — “London Minute,” a daily, on-the-ground show, will feature quick-hitting video snippets from London and will debut during the Opening Ceremonies to capture the spirit of the Summer Games. In addition, “Elite Athlete Workouts,” an award winning Yahoo! Sports original program, debuting on May 7, 2012 with stars participating in the Summer Games such as gymnastics darling Aly Raisman, will take a deep dive into the lives of some of the most popular athletes such with insights into training, diet and preparation. “Elite Athlete Workouts” will be the first introduction to some of the stars of the 2012 Games!
- Original reporting and expert analysis — Yahoo! Sports has a strong, unique editorial voice and will cover the Summer Games with the winning combination of timely, in-depth, and impartial reporting. It’s Yahoo!’s voice and programming that has made Yahoo! Sports the most visited destination for the last three games. In addition to Yahoo!’s premier editorial staff, Yahoo! added former Olympians Shannon Miller, Dan O’Brien and Summer Sanders as analysts to the already established team of journalists including Pat Forde, Charles Robinson, Martin Rogers, Dan Wetzel, Adrian Wojnarowski and others. Yahoo! will also add to its unique voice with the “London Reporter,” reports from the Yahoo! Contributor Network, and “Fourth Place Medal,” (sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics-fourth-place-medal/) a column which will include ongoing reports from the most talked about events in London.
- Social Experiences — Through two new social programs users will be closer to the games and their friends who follow the games than ever before. This year, users can show their support and pride for their favorite athletes directly within Yahoo!. Deeply integrated into the hub dedicated to coverage of the Games, users will be prompted to cheer for their favorite athletes and countries. ‘London Pick’Em,’ the new Yahoo! Sports fantasy game, is a daily prediction style game that will engage fans in a fresh, fun environment. The social experience will have friends challenging their friends through social channels as they compete against the world and go for the Gold Medal of predictions!
- Sports Radio Programming – Yahoo! is expanding its coverage beyond online with Yahoo! Sports Radio coverage throughout the games. Yahoo! Sports Radio will feature live call-ins from London, daily segments profiling athletes and breaking news coverage throughout the games.
Yahoo! will provide fans with the key moments of the Summer Games across multiple devices, including mobile phones, tablets, TV and the desktop, ensuring they never miss a beat regardless of where they are. Yahoo! product offerings will be announced at a later date.
Yahoo! is the premier digital media company, creating deeply personal digital experiences that keep more than half a billion people connected to what matters most to them, across devices and around the globe. And Yahoo!’s unique combination of Science + Art + Scale connects advertisers to the consumers who build their businesses. Yahoo! is headquartered in Sunnyvale, California. For more information, visit the pressroom (pressroom.yahoo.net) or the company’s blog, Yodel Anecdotal (yodel.yahoo.com).
Yahoo! is the trademark and/or registered trademark of Yahoo! Inc. All other names are trademarks and/or registered trademarks of their respective owners.
Yahoo! is home to ten No. 1 properties in the U.S. – including the Yahoo! News Network, Yahoo! Sports, omg!, and Yahoo! Finance. (comScore Media Metrix, U.S., March 2012)
* Source: comScore World Metrix, March 2012
Olympic, Olympiad, the Olympic rings, London 2012 and related marks are owned by the International Olympics Committee, London 2012 Organizing Committee for the Games of the XXX Olympiad, or their related entities. This site is neither endorsed by nor affiliated with any of these entities.