Healthy Snack Foods for Kids!
Author: Shannon Miller
Snack Foods for Kids…Healthy Options and How to Serve Them
Sometimes it’s hard to wait until mealtime to eat, especially for fast-growing kids! Having some nutritious snack options available for your kids could be a good way to curb their appetite, yet keep them healthy! And setting some ground rules for eating snacks can help your kids to avoid that “can’t have just one” debacle that leaves them not so hungry when it’s time to for dinner!
These ground rules for snacks can help:
- Ask for the snack. Discourage your kids from helping themselves to snacks. Have them ask first. This way you can keep tabs on what your little ones are putting in their tummies!
- Round up the troops in the kitchen! Reserve snack-time for the kitchen, rather than in front of the television or computer. It’s easy to mindlessly eat one handful after another when you’re watching a captivating show or playing a fun game!
- Bowl trumps box or bag! Avoid letting your kids eat directly out of the box or bag; try putting a serving of the food in a bowl.
Every family has their own favorite snacks, but if you’re looking for some new options, check out these healthy snacks:
- Baked tortilla chips and salsa
- Whole wheat pita bread with hummus
- Whole grain crackers with fat-free or low-fat cheese
- Celery with peanut butter and raisins
- Frozen grapes (rinse and freeze grapes overnight)