Why Is Stretching Important?
Author: Shannon Miller
Question: Why is stretching so important?
Not only does stretching prevent injury and relieve stress, stretching can help you throughout your day in a variety of ways.
- Post workout recovery. You want to stretch to prevent muscle soreness and stiffness.
- Increases flexibility and circulation. It can be calming or invigorating depending on the routine and stretching is a great way to start the day and a perfect wind down before bed.
- Increases range of motion which will help you in all your other activities.
- Stretch for a quick boost of energy, better posture and even injury prevention.
Here are some quick tips on how to stretch properly:
- Hold stretches for approximately 15-30 seconds. Repeat 3-4 times if necessary.
- Stretch after you exercise and throughout the day.
- Stretch when you feel your posture start to slide or need a quick boost of energy.
- Use caution if you have an existing injury.
- Go slow…take your time and breathe.
TIP: If you found this article helpful, you might also want to read some related Shannon Miller Lifestyle articles: