It’s a Fan Favorite: Visa National Championships!
Author: Shannon Miller
Check out the fan fun that will accompany 2012 Visa Championships!
The 2012 Visa Championships is the national qualifying event that will not only choose the Men’s and Women’s US National Gymnastics team; this year it also serves as an important part of qualification for the US Olympic Team!
Event: 2012 Visa Championships
Date: June 7-10
Place: St. Louis
Venue: Saint Louis University’s Chaifetz Arena
Fans will have many opportunities to be a part of this incredible event from Fan Fest to pre-competition workouts in the park this will be an event that the whole family can enjoy!
Visit usagym.org for tickets to this historic competition and a full list of activities you can enjoy while you’re there.
Some of the 2012 Visa Championships excitement includes:
- Opening Ceremony/World Record Attempt. Gymnastics enthusiasts and the general public are invited to the Opening Ceremony on Thursday, June 7, at 11:30 a.m, just outside Chaifetz Arena. Included in the Opening Ceremony will be setting a world record for the longest balance beam. More information on the Opening Ceremony will become available in the coming weeks.
- Morning Fitness. Downtown workers and gymnastics fans can start the day off right with a morning workout. From Thursday, June 7, through Saturday, June 9, with a 60-minute workout at the Arch. Each day will feature a different type of workout: June 7, yoga, 6:30 a.m.; June 8, Zumba, 7:30 a.m.; and June 9, boot camp, 8:30 a.m. Come on out and you’ll probably spot a few Olympians and World Champions there as well!
- Painting at Chaifetz. Gymnastics fans and citizens of St. Louis can help create an original painting that will become a part of the history of the 2012 Visa Championships. You’ll be able to dip your hands and/or feet into paint and do handstands, cartwheels or walk across the canvas, developing a communal piece of art.
- USA Gymnastics Fitness Zone. Kids can have fun and gain knowledge about the importance of fitness through the interactive USA Gymnastics Fitness Zone. The Zone will feature activities in building strength, flexibility and cardiovascular exercise. The Fitness Zone will be found on the concourse at the Chaifetz Arena and the Visa Fan Fest.
- Visa Fan Fest. Fans can gather for fun between the gymnastics sessions on June 8-10 and post-competition on June 10. The Visa Fan Fest will be a great place to mingle and enjoy music, autographs, food, Painting at Chaifetz, the USA Gymnastics Fitness Zone and other fun activities, as well as buy merchandise.
- WGYM Radio.Get the inside track during the competition with live commentary from (me) Two-time Olympic gold-medalist Shannon Miller and 2007 U.S. all-around champion David Durante who will be hosting WGYM, the in-house radio broadcast for men’s and women’s gymnastics. WGYM provides running commentary on the competition, as well as fun facts about the sport and the competitors. Radios will be available at Chaifetz. Tweet your questions during the competition to me @SMillerGold and we’ll answer them on air!
This year, it will be easier than ever to follow the competition and fan events online. Schedules and general information for both fan and competition activities, start lists, live scoring and more will be available at usagym.org/visa, which is easily viewable on smart phones and other digital devices.
The 2012 Visa Championships, USA Gymnastics’ National Championships, features the country’s best gymnasts vying for national titles and spots on the U.S. National Team in Men’s and Women’s Gymnastics, as well as a chance to advance to the 2012 U.S. Olympic Trials, June 28 – July 1, in San Jose, Calif.
SML TIP: Get your tickets today:
- by phone at 314-534-1111 or 800-293-5949
- online at metrotix.com
- at the Chaifetz Arena Box Office